I used to think, growing up, and watching all the Hollywood movies, that America was the best place to live. One day, a black friend in Michigan, told me there are loads of poor places in America. My narrow mind had to find out, so I did an online search, and I discovered that, yea, indeed there were poor cities in America! The level of poverty in such cities, is judged by per capita income, in relation to their population and bla bla bla. So I asked myself, ‘why haven’t I ever thought of that possibility??’ The Hollywood movies and the Sweet Valley High books I used to read! That answered it. The point of this whole comparison?? Movies, blogs, music, etc…these intricate aspects, are easily neglected, but then, sometimes, they are the reference point, for people, to judge places and even make decisions!!
People outside Ghana, would derive their perception of Ghana, from materials they happen to stumble upon over the internet; our Ghanaian blogs, websites and articles about us. It’s a large branding and re-branding tool; the internet. We’re judged by the cover, always…and the cover better be good 😉
(Extra hyping doesn’t sound like a bad idea :P) Maybe it’s not too late for Uncle Fii to re-visit his Better Ghana Agenda 😉
- A Closer Look Into Ghana’s First Oil. A Blessing or Curse? (macjordangh.wordpress.com)
- Branding Africa via Studio 53 Extra (vanguardngr.com)
- Ghana president says ‘no’ to troops in Ivory Coast (foxnews.com)
- Ghana’s Colonial Education System – it’s not what you do it’s the way that you do it (grahamghana.wordpress.com)
- Ghana Blogging (ghanablogging.com)